Retirement Board Members
The Board meets quarterly and has four standing subcommittees that meet monthly.
Current members of the Retirement Board are:
- General Treasurer James A. Diossa, Chair, Ex Officio Member
- James E. Thorsen, Director of Administration
- Joseph Codega, Jr., Director/Budget Officer (Appointed by Dir. of Admin.)
- Ernest Almonte, CPA, Director, League of Cities and Towns, Ex Officio Member
- Roger P. Boudreau, Retiree Member Representative
- Raymond J. Pouliot, Retiree Member Representative
- Paul L. Dion, Ph.D., Active State Employee Representative
- Claire M. Newell, Active State Employee Representative
- Matthew K. Howard, Active Municipal Employee Representative
- John P. Maguire, Active Teacher Representative (Vice Chair)
- Michael J. Twohey, Active Teacher Representative
- Mark A. Carruolo, Public Representative (Appointed by the Governor)
- Jean Rondeau, Public Representative (Appointed by the Governor)
- Lisa A. Whiting, Public Representative (Appointed by the General Treasurer)
- Dr. Laura Shawhughes, Public Representative (Appointed by the General Treasurer)
The State Investment Commission (SIC), established under Rhode Island General Law 35-10, oversees the assets of the pension system as well as non-pension related investments such as the General Fund. The SIC has a fiduciary duty to put first the interests of the members of the retirement system, and to pursue the best investment portfolio possible.
Retirement Board and SIC meeting information and agendas can be found on the Open Meetings site maintained by the Rhode Island Secretary of State.